Tuesday, March 10, 2009

you are here


being a (mostly) lifelong resident of new york's hudson valley, i have to admit that i have not taken full advantage of the various local activities and events this region is known for. i know i'm not alone. it's easy to take for granted the wondrous attributes that tourists find irresistible.

i have to thank my daughter for forcing me to use a new perspective. her silly little giggle reminds me that it's up to me to give her experiences she'll always treasure. someday we'll sample local farm-to-table fare at bargain prices during the annual hudson valley restaurant week. we will learn about making maple syrup, and about the 400th anniversary of hudson and his famous voyage upriver.

i will relish every act of becoming a visitor in my own neighborhood. i will look beyond the potholes, and that lady who walks her husky to any location with a bench, combs his immensly thick coat, and leaves the furballs on the ground. instead i will explore doodletown, less than 10 minutes from my front door.

as my daughter grows, so does my eagerness to share the rich history at our feet.

in the meantime, we'll practice that giggle.

1 comment:

Kristine said...

Love how Sammy is all up in her video shoot. Haha, so cute.